Thursday, December 20, 2012

Red Velvet Thumbprints

Are you done with cookies?  Or just totally over holiday treats? I hope not.  I know I am not over them at all..I probably should be.  I really haven't done as much holiday baking as I usually do, something else has been keeping me busy....
I still plan to make sugar cookies next week.  Those are a must.  We had a cookie exchange with our PEPS group last week, and I wanted to make something very festive-looking.  I found this recipe on Jessica's blog.  Red velvet, frosting, and I could add some sprinkles. Perfect.
This was a very easy recipe.  It made a little over a dozen cookies, perfect for our exchange.  The frosting is a must to balance out the deep flavor of the red velvet cookie.  These cookies would also be cute for Valentine's Day...sprinkles required of course.
Red Velvet Thumbprints
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoons red food coloring
Preheat oven to 375.  Sift flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
Using your stand mixer, beat butter and sugars together until fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add in egg yolk and vanilla, beat for another 1-2 minutes.  Add red food coloring and mix until it is totally combined. Turn mixer to low and add in flour mixture, scraping bowl as needed.
Roll into balls measuring about 1 inch in diameter and place on your baking sheet, leave plenty of room between cookies.  Bake for 6 minutes, then remove from oven and gently press your thumb down into the middle of each cookie, creating a well.  Place the tray back in the oven and bake for 5 more minutes.  Remove and let cool completely.
Cream Cheese Marshmallow Frosting
4 ounces softened cream cheese
1 Tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
Use your stand mixer to beat cream cheese until creamy, no lumps.  Add in fluff and beat for 3 more minutes, then add in vanilla.  Turn mixer to low and add in powdered sugar.  Beat on medium-high speed for another 3 minutes.  Fill each cooled cookie with frosting...sprinkle away!
I'm happy I tried a new cookie for Christmas and I would definitely make them again.  An easy way to get your red velvet fix.  Hope you've all been enjoying the holiday season and eatings.  Once the new year starts it's nothing but vegetables....in cookies.

-->