Thursday, March 28, 2013

Banana cupcakes with brown butter cream cheese frosting

 
Spring is here!  I think??  We still have some clouds and rain here in Seattle, but I feel the temperatures warming up.  I wanted to make some cupcakes to celebrate.  You know my favorite way to celebrate any occasion is with a cupcake.
Since Easter is just around the corner, I made a few little bird's nests with Robin Eggs candies (one of my favorites).  The others I just added some pastel star sprinkles.  Easter candy is killer right??  Sheesh, just give me a cart and I could literally fill it to the top with Easter candy!  Cadbury Eggs, and mini eggs, Reese's peanut butter eggs....my list goes on and on.
Since I"m clearly on a health kick, I decided to make banana cupcakes.  Very similar to the banana bread I like, but smothered in cream cheese frosting.  Oh, and I browned the butter in this cream cheese frosting.  The browned butter gave the icing a light brown color, perfect for little nests!  A dollop of sour cream helps these cakes stay moist and delicious.  I made a small batch of 12, but you can easily double the cake and frosting to make two dozen cupcakes.  A dozen to share, a dozen for you!
Banana cupcakes with brown butter cream cheese frosting
makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
3 bananas, peeled and mashed
Preheat oven to 350 and line baking pan with paper liners
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Set aside.
In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar about 2 or 3 minutes until completely combined. Add sour cream and vanilla.  Slowly add eggs.  Add the flour mixture and stir, don't over mix.  Fold in banana.
Fill each cupcake liner about three-quarters full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.   Cool completely before frosting.
Brown butter cream cheese frosting
1/2 cup butter, browned (directions here) and cooled
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
In your mixing bowl combine butter and cream cheese.  Beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add in vanilla and milk, mix until combined.  Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.  Pipe or spread on cupcakes and decorate as desired.
I thought the cake was delicious, with just enough banana flavor, and the frosting added a little level of decadence.  I think I'll be using this frosting recipe on some other cakes for sure.  Happy baking....and eating!






-->