Sunday, December 15, 2013

Candy Cane Joe-Joe Truffles

This recipe takes the Candy Cane Joe-Joe up a notch.  You don't believe me do you?  Just make these truffles yourself and see what you think.  Crushed Joe-Joes mixed with cream cheese, covered in chocolate, sprinkled with candy cane bits.    What's not to like about that?
It's such a happy day when Trader Joe's puts out these seasonal Joe-Joe's.   And I do mean day.  Sometimes these things barely stay on the shelves!  I can happily report that my local store has been stocked.   These cookies are so nice and refreshing I really don't feel like I'm eating a dessert...so then I eat about twelve cookies.  I don't sweat it.  I say if you're going to indulge at the holidays make it worth it.  The joe-joe's themselves are worth it, but these truffles are really worth it.  My favorite part is that they are no-bake! You can have these ready to share with friends in no time!  People get busy this time of year and may not want to spend a lot of time baking.  Share this recipe with them and you'll have a forever friend!
Candy Cane Joe-Joe Truffles
1 box Candy Cane Joe-Joe's, crushed  (found at Trader Joe's, or use Candy cane Oreos)
one 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
chocolate chips for dipping (I used milk chocolate)
crushed candy canes for garnish
Crush entire box of Joe-Joe's into a fine crumb.  I find this is easiest in a food processor. Transfer crumbs to a large mixing bowl.  Stir in cream cheese and mix until cream cheese is fully combined. Form into balls, I used a medium cookie scoop, and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place cookie sheet in refrigerator and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.  
Melt chocolate chips in microwave at 30 second intervals until completely smooth.  Using a toothpick, dip truffles in chocolate until completely coated.  Sprinkle with crushed candy canes if you like.
I like to keep them in the refrigerator and eat cold.
See how easy it is to turn a cookie into an even more awesome cookie? I recommend you go out and buy two boxes of Joe-Joe's: one to make truffles, and one to eat in the car on the way home. 





-->