Sunday, July 20, 2014

No bake peanut butter bars

Finally! We've had temperatures in the 70s and I could not be more happy!  I am completely adapted to typical Seattle weather.  I grew up in a very hot climate, but everyone had air conditioning, and lots of people have swimming pools.  When you don't have all these wonderful things to help you beat the heat, you start to get a little cranky.  However, I have a cure for this crankiness....no bake peanut butter bars!  No need to turn on your oven and only 6 ingredients separate you from this tasty treat.   
These bars taste very similar to Reese's peanut butter cups. Who doesn't love a Reese's peanut butter cup? Did I tell you about the blizzard I recently had? Reese's peanut butter cup pie! Um, yeah...awesome.  Peanut butter cups, pie crust, peanut butter chunks.  I typically get a mini size, but this time I went for small (wanted a large) and didn't have a single ounce of guilt about it.  I hope you have a DQ near you because this blizzard is worth every last bite. If you don't immediately have access to a DQ, make these bars.  I can't decide if I prefer them at room temperature, or right from the fridge.  I may need to make another batch for more research.  
No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter + 4 Tablespoons reserved
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
In a medium bowl combine melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, 1 cup peanut butter.  Once combined, press into 9x13 pan.
Using your microwave, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter, stirring at 30 second intervals.  Spread over peanut butter layer. Refrigerate for at least one hour prior to cutting.  
*I kept the pan in the fridge because of the warm temperatures.
*I think you could easily cut this in half and use a 9x9 pan, but I don't know why you would want to.
I hope you're making these right now....or eating that blizzard.
Here's another great no bake cookie recipe.
-->